A background check can be conducted to verify whether you have a criminal record or not. This is especially important if you are applying for work in the field of law enforcement, healthcare, corrections, security, etc. A background check will reveal if there are any open warrants, previous convictions, missing information and other relevant details about your past that could potentially affect your chances of getting hired.
If you have had a criminal conviction, it may prevent you from obtaining employment in certain fields, or you might even find yourself unable to renew your license if you have been convicted of a crime that requires you to do so every year. The same goes for people who want to get into the medical profession.
There are various reasons why someone wants to conduct a background check on themselves or another person. Some people want to know more about their spouse, family members, co-workers, neighbors and others. Others just want to know if they’re being stalked online by a former partner or ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. Still others want to ensure the safety of their children with a background check of their babysitter or nanny, or perhaps to see if there are any red flags regarding an employee that they employ.
In this article we shall discuss the benefits of conducting background checks and how to proceed if you need to check someone else’s criminal records.
What Is a Criminal Background Check?
The first thing you should understand is that a criminal background check or an arrest check is different from a credit report. You can get access to your own credit reports at most major credit bureaus like TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax. However, if you want to get information about someone else, you need a third party to conduct the background check.
This is done through a private company called a third-party firm. These companies do not get access to anyone’s credit history. They only gather information based on what the government has made available. For instance, if you apply for a job as a bank teller, you would normally have to take the written exam. If the bank finds out that you have a criminal record, you won’t be able to get the position.
Going through the truthfinder.com reviews will help the person to get the idea of the important of the background check. The employers will get the idea of the various employees present, past and the future. in the long run the option will prove to be the best one. The main try of the person must be to achieve the goals in the long run.
However, if you search for the name of the city, state, zip code, and employer of the bank, you would find that the bank is hiring applicants without criminal records.
What Information Is Available in a Criminal Background Check?
Every individual state has its own laws regarding the type of information that is included in a criminal background check. The following factors determine which information will be included in the report:
- Sex Offender Registry – Every state has a sex offender registry. In some states, you will have to register anywhere between 10 years to life after being convicted of a sex offense. Some states require you to keep your registration up to date. Other states don’t require you to do anything.
- Felony Convictions – There are two types of felonies, violent and non-violent. Violent felonies include murder, rape, arson, assault, robbery, and burglary. Non-violent felonies include crimes such as drug possession, embezzlement, fraud, larceny, and motor vehicle theft.
- Municipal Court Records (Misdemeanors) – Misdemeanor offenses usually involve minor cases like disorderly conduct, domestic violence, shoplifting, driving under the influence, and public intoxication. Sometimes, these misdemeanors result from arrests rather than court proceedings.
- Probation & Parole Records – People who are guilty of minor crimes often get probation and parole terms. While these conditions have been abolished in many states, some are still active. These records show when someone was released from prison, jail or jail-like facility, and for how long. You can also look at the conditions of their release.
- Juvenile Records – Juvenile records are different from those of adults because juvenile records are not accessible to the general public. These records are used mainly to protect the community and to rehabilitate minors.
- Fingerprints – Fingerprint information is one of the most commonly searched items in a criminal background check. Fingerprints are used to identify the subject and to match them with fingerprints obtained from crime scenes.
- Arrests – Some states include all arrests in the criminal background check. Others only include those that resulted in convictions.
- Civil Disabilities – If you have suffered from mental health issues or substance abuse, you will find your name listed in the civil disabilities section of the report. It is possible that you will have to undergo treatment before you can obtain employment or otherwise regain rights.
- Driver License Suspensions – Many states suspend driver licenses when someone gets arrested. The reason for this varies. Some states suspend licenses if the accused is found guilty of a serious crime. Others simply suspend licenses if the person is found guilty of a misdemeanor but does not have a prior offense.
- Immigration Status – Immigration status includes both permanent resident and temporary visas.
How Do I Conduct a Criminal Background Check?
To get started, you will need to contact one or more companies that offer criminal background checks. To find the right company, you will need to know the specifics of the type of report you want.
When looking for a company to conduct a background check, you should always ask if you are allowed to have access to the full report. This way, you can make sure that the company you choose will provide you with the maximum amount of information possible.
Once you have chosen a company, you will need to sign up for a free account. Your account will give you access to information about the other individuals in your family. You can even use this service to learn more about your friends and their backgrounds.
After signing up, you will be asked to fill out a short form. After submitting this form, you will receive a verification email. Once you receive the verification email, you will need to provide additional information. You must specify the exact location where the alleged offense occurred. You should also provide the date, time, and location where the event took place.
You will then be given the option to pay a small fee for the background check. You can either pay via PayPal or wire transfer. Most companies allow payment plans and discounts for bulk orders.
How Long Does a Criminal Background Check Take?
It depends on the company and the kind of report you request. A simple background check can take less than 2 days. More complicated reports will take longer.
Some companies charge extra fees for expedited services. Depending on the size of the city, state, or country, the speed at which the background check takes place will vary.
Is There Any Way to Verify Someone Else’s Criminal History?
Yes, there are several ways to verify another person’s criminal history. One method involves asking for a copy of any court documents related to the case. Another method is contacting the police department directly. Both methods may cost money.
The last method is the most common and least expensive. When you go to the website of the agency that conducts the background check, you will find a link to “Check Yourself!”. Clicking on this link will bring you to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). From here, you will need to enter the name of the person you want to check and the name of the state where the suspect resides.
Depending on the state, this will either bring you to a NICS page that allows you to check the suspect’s criminal record or a page where you can order the report.
Knowing the rules and regulations surrounding criminal background checks is essential to ensure that you get the best results possible. As with everything else, a little research will save you a lot of hassle down the line.